Monday, August 31, 2009

Day 0 on the new career path OR Growing Up for real

I say Day 0 because my first day is tomorrow.

Observation #1: 6:35 a.m. is fraking early.
Observation #2: It is not as early as I have to get up tomorrow.
Observation #3: I already want to take a nap.

In the last 6 weeks, I have successfully completed three professional courses, two online and one in person. I also spent $210 on shoes, $600 on clothes, $50 on a haircut, $30 on make-up, and $100 on tailoring so that I could add "professional" to my closet and make it through my first 4-day week as an Auditor without looking like I've spent the last 28 years attempting to wear nothing at all whenever possible, and only comfort and utmost sexy/cute style the rest of the time. Seriously. I spent half of college in a pair of Dalmatian spotted flannel pajamas. I am now the ?proud? owner of five Austin Reed, Jones New York, and Body by Victoria Secret suits.

Suits. With jackets and everything.

The rest of my wardrobe of low rise jeans, loose skirts, sheath dresses, and tank-tops is afraid. It doesn't know what to do with this entirely too tailored, gray and black, no nonsense invasion of my closet. The six inch stilleto sandals could kick the Clarks Artisan dress shoes' a**, but like an elephant confronted by a mouse, it fears and knows not why. The favorite $20 Old Navy jeans have replaced their easy confidence as the garment of choice with insecurity and a marked sense of inferiority as they are now flanked by the fully lined Jones New York slacks with cuffs.

Fully Lined.

Fully Lined with great big capitol letters. In my previous life, the only clothes that came Fully Lined were skimpy lacy dresses that would be see-through otherwise and wool coats. The sensation of smooth swishing fabric against my skin that does not match that visible layer of bottom-weight wool blend - well, the feeling is foreign, sometimes distracting, and a little dirty - like the feeling of sexy lingerie beneath your clothes on a hot date.

...

Today I have to obtain transcripts from two schools, pick up newly hemmed pants from the tailor, figure out where there's parking at the Amtrak station I'll be using to commute, pick out a first day outfit, iron a shirt, and my husband wants to go grocery shopping.

Did I mention I already want to take a nap?

No comments:

Post a Comment